Saturday, June 16, 2012

Balloon Surprise

As I was getting my first cup of coffee about 6:30 this morning, I glanced out the window to a balloon landing in the field behind the house. How cool!! I grabbed my camera and began taking pictures. If you've never heard the sound a balloon burner makes, think huge dragon with a severe breathing problem. It's a very scary sound if you don't know what it is. I had let my little dog out to see what was making that strange noise and she of course started barking at it, then she ran and hid under the table on the patio. I let her back into the house and she headed straight underneath the bed, just barely peeking ner nose out to look at me, the little coward! It was too funny.

After landing the balloonist performed a charming little ceremony to show thanks for a safe landing, popping the cork on a bottle of champagne with which to drink a toast. To the side helpers were taking the balloon down.

I found watching the balloon deflate to be very unsettling to me. It lurched like a drunken sailor as the hot air quickly rushed out and cooler air replaced it, allowing the silky, brightly colored material to sink to the ground. Unwieldy and vulnerable as it awkwardly lay down on its side, it seemed dangerously exposed to any sudden gust of wind or other calamity.

You will note the neighbor hasn't mowed the field down yet this year and there is the usual forest of 7-10 ft. tall thistles spread out everywhere. Before deflating the balloon a man was out pulling thistles up in the path of the balloon so it wouldn't land on them and tear it. The whole process was quite interesting to watch, especially since they were close enough for me to hear what was being said. Sound carries beautifully on the clear morning air.

As I was looking at the pictures afterwards, I saw a lesson in the photos and thought I'd share it here. As I pondered the pics and the unsettled feeling I was experiencing, I began to see a parallel to life in this little tableau. God was talking. I chose to listen.

Many people are like that balloon drifting through life blown about by the gentle breezes, putting down here and there. Being up on the heights like that is a heady thing that gives you a whole different perspective on life. And then there's the coming back to earth part where you land in a forest full of thistles, i.e., danger.

To me the thistles represent the presence of sin in the world. It's unavoidable. It's dangerous and threatening. You can pull a few up here and there, but their twins are standing just a few feet away, ready to burst into full bloom and spread their seeds wherever the wind will take them. Seeds of rebellion, violence, discontent, gossip, depression and even foolishness, are like those thistles. You can work at getting them out of your life but there is more just waiting in the wings to take over if you don't stay actively vigilant. The bible says the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

I'm truly not a pessimist, but I like to think I'm a realist. Reality is often very disturbing and some people prefer to remain up in the air above it, ignoring it's very existence. Realists see that as a dangerous position to remain in as it leaves you exposed and vulnerable to any enemy looking for an opportunity to wreak havoc. It also leaves you defenseless. Not a good thing.

It's interesting how there are lessons in every thing around us, how God is constantly talking to us. Unfortunately, we often don't listen because of distractions, busyness, and just plain doubt and unbelief. Few seem to even see the roses anymore, let alone take time to stop and smell them. What a pity.

Your comments are welcome. Please feel free to do so below.

No comments:

Post a Comment