Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Different Time or Place



 
Part of the reason for doing this blog was to have a place to showcase my art work as well as be able to philosophize. Actually, I love to do both, and combining them makes me very happy. Hence, the artwork with a message. Hopefully, it will touch your heart as well. If I can get even one person to stop and think just for a moment, I will have accomplished something. That works for me.

For the philosophy part:

I can honestly say that I spent a rather large portion of my life wishing things were different or that I was different, not realizing that I was foolishing spending way too much time living inside my head or inside books.Same thing. It was all escapism. Nowadays people seem to prefer tv, computer or video games. The ills that plague the human race run bone deep. I'm not being pessimistic here, just realistic. In order to successfully deal with a problem one must recognize and acknowledge it first, don't you think? I had to recognize my thoughts and behavior before I could change any of it. Of course, this is a life long process. A journey. I love adventures! Don't you?

A bit about the technique for the art piece:

The background for this picture was an experiment on regular tissue paper. I first somewhat haphazardly spread some gesso on the tissue paper and let it dry. I sprayed several colors of alcohol inks using some stencils/masks to add some interest and added some more gesso on top of that. The circles were done on coffee filters using sharpie pens and alcohol and then both spraying and dripping alcohol inks on. I dried the filters in between layers.

I then took pictures of them, manipulating them in Gimp on the computer, and finally putting them together in Publisher. The quote was one I found on Facebook.

I plan to use the actual tissue paper in collages on canvas so I'm getting more than double duty out of all of the pieces I'm painting. Much of my inspiration of late has come from videos from YouTube. I subscribe to a number of channels. I've learned a lot there. It's fun to try out new techniques. I will share some of my favorites from time to time. Today I want to share Jennibellie's channel. Jenny has videos on lots of different techniques that anyone can do. She also as a +blog you can find here. She interviews different artists about once a month which are very interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I met you through Jenny. From what I've seen so far, we seem to think in the same way. I love the way you combine "real" media with digital. Have you been doing digital art long? The above piece is gorgeous! I've never done digital art, but you make me want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked for a newspaper in Alaska for 15 years as a graphic designer and learned to do the digital art as part of my job. For the last 10 years I've just done stuff off and on. As for combining the two, it's been like discovering a whole new world of fun.

    I adore quotes. I collect them and am working on a coffee table quote book for myself although I've kind of taken a break from that project after about 30 pages.

    I've been watching all these awesome YouTube videos on journaling and similar things. It's been so much fun to try out new techniques, or sometimes just forgotten ones. It has jump started my creative muse. The ideas just seem to roll through my head so fast it's hard to catch them sometimes.

    I appreciate your kind words and would encourage you to be adventurous. Go ahead and try. The cool thing is you don't have to show anyone the pieces you don't like or you don't think worked so the emotional risk can be nil. I don't know if you have a problem in that department, but I have had so try to encourage others just in case. Would love to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete