Sunday, December 30, 2012

Abstraction and deeper meanings

Art Blossum Magazine recently posted on Facebook some pics of the works of Constantin Brancusi, a Romanian sculptor who "was a central figure of the modern movement and a pioneer of abstraction." I've always liked Brancusi's work but when I looked at the pictures of his art this time, I was suddenly struck with the thought that his work could have been a political statement of sorts and I wondered if that were true.

Constantin Brancusi, Danaid , 1913, Bronze, National Museum of Modern Art

I only did a cursory search on him so I have no idea if he had a political bent or not, however, I was interested in my own sudden ability to see the possibility of his art being a reaction to, or possibly a precursor to a growing cultural mindset of detachment from humanity, such that is echoed not only in abstract art, but in current rising violent crime rates, a high divorce rate, a huge generation gap, and families who are, more often than not, distant, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.

Was abstract art really a reaction to and/or statement about weakening human relationships? I recognize that at the technical level abstraction is seen as a method of simplifying down to the most basic components of something in order to experience the beauty of the parts, colors,or form, the expression of a feeling. I get that. But I believe that everyone and everything is interconnected on an affective level. It's that old cliche 'no man is an island' thing. I have come to believe that what I do and say today, determines my future tomorrow. If that is true now, it has always been true. I just didn't recognize it as such. That means that what I did yesterday, and the day before that, and the year before that, has affected my today.

Expressions and methods of creativity, in any field of endeavor in this world, are not only affected by previous or simultaneous acts and thought, but also affect current and future endeavors and thought in a continuous never ending line or circle. Think drops of water whose rings continually radiate out connecting with other rings and being changed in the process. How wonderful a thing that can be! I know. Who thought that after that rather dismal statement in paragraph two that this article is in fact a positive celebration of life being lived to its fullest!

My art has always had deeper meanings hidden within it that I have not necessarily understood at the time of execution. I would discover after the fact a depth I didn't even know was there. It just seemed to be in there, waiting for me to put it on paper or canvas. I have finally come to that place in my life where I at least somewhat understand that urge and have begun to direct it more purposefully and intentionally. And I love it. The writing of this blog is merely an extension of that creative process for me. I am almost in my sixth decade and my life has never held so much joy or promise in so many ways. I am truly a blessed woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment